Monday December 11, 2017

Museveni brushes off any chances of Ugandan troops withdrawing from South Sudan

KAMPALA – Ugandan President Yowei Museveni has today brushed off calls by some members of IGAD states and international community to withdraw his troops from South Sudan to give ceasefire plans discussed in Addis Ababa a chance. 

Museveni through the presidency sources in Kampala said that withdrawing his troops from combat in South Sudan would mean failure in the support he promised to give Salva Kiir and his government in crushing out rebellion in the republic of South Sudan.

“Withdrawing is the least we could do since the fight against the rebels is far from finish. Remember we only engaged directly with the rebels last week. We are determined to continue on and defeat them in other parts of that country as we did on Saturday in Bor.” – Museveni said

Earlier last week, Ethiopian Prime Minister Desalegn decried what he called as Uganda’s senseless involvement in another country’s internal affairs. Desalegn said that Military involvement by Museveni will complicate ceasefire talks currently going on in the Ethiopian capital.

on Friday last week, two senators from Kenya’s opposition party, CORD told the Kenyan government to strongly condemn Uganda’s involvement in South Sudan conflict. The senators say the peace in Addis must be given a chance and all the troops already committed in fight by Uganda need to be withdrawn. 

 

The upper Nile Times 

Ali Sadig Farah

A Political correspondent for The Upper Nile Times based in Khartoum, Sudan


Filed in

Uganda embassy issue security alert for Yei – Yambio road

South Sudanese Seek a Chance to Live Without Fear

You may also like:

Do you like Upper Nile Times? please follow us!

Web Design BangladeshBangladesh Online Market